Royal Air Force Greatworth

962 Signals Unit

The Station's Forums

Forum Home > General Discussions > Next Year?

M Hall
Site Owner

Several people have told me, that The Red Lion would be their venue of choice at future reunions, (these from just this reunion). I'm asking if everyone else would like to voice an opinion on this? The Red Lion is a lovely pub and the food is good, a bit more expensive, but very good. It is also outside of a walking distance (Well, these days anyhow??) to the camp. It isn't far to drive however and there is parking space. The Inn? Well I'll keep an eye open anyway, to see what gives. It'd be a shame if it closes completely like the pub in Marston St Lawrence did last year! 

The bottom line is that including The Inn, there are Four pubs and a restaurant within easy reach of the camp.  The Red Lion, The Bell Inn in Helmdon (only opens in the evenings and doesn't do more than a pizza!),  Limes Farm Tea Shop and The Fox in Farthinghoe. These are the nearest pubs/resturants, unless you go as far as Banbury or Brackley, they all cook lunch/meals.  Banbury is only seven miles distance, but would be quite a hike because of the traffic. Brackley is closer at five miles, but far enough to overstretch our interest. Farthinghoe is a little closer than Culworth and easier to find being on the main road (A422) between Banbury and Brackley.

On the bright side, The Red Lion seems to be flourishing quite well. However we'll have to keep an eye on how things are going eh?

I to, am quite happy with The Red Lion as a reunion venue, but I've done my best to be fair and show all the alternatives that are available. However, we can only use ONE and we don't want any last minute alterations to mess us up again, so if we can come up with a firm opinion from everyone concerned, we can put this to bed, okay?

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

August 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

In addition to the opening post here, I'd like to propose that the second wednesday in August, as the established reunion date, independant of the calender date. If it is always on a 2nd Wednesday,  it is easy to remember. There is no particular event or place that relates to this date, other than avoiding holidays by being late in the summer, but early enough to hopefully enjoy good weather. Once it is accepted as `The' Reunion date, it is one less piece of `organising' to do and along with an established venue, makes our reunion an almost automatic event. All that is needed, is a remindfull call to arms.

As I've said before, that dispite my attempts to organise these reunions, it's never MY reunion, it's YOURS and it is wonderfull to see old comrades meeting their pals from so many years ago, the laughter, talk, smiles and some tears too, all make it well worth the effort. So, second Wednesday in August, every year? It's YOUR call!

Of course, any feedback on this would be helpfull??

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

August 16, 2013 at 4:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

marion

Just an aside as far as places to eat go - I can highly recommend the Three Conies at Thorpe Mandeville for beer and food!

September 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

Hi Marion, I'll look at them too, but for now I'm trying to keep as close as I can to the camp. The Red Lion is okay and is a lovely venue, but The Inn at Greatworth was a nice walking distance between venue and camp, so I'm hoping it'll reopen somewhen. At a time when pubs are closing by the shedfull, it is worrying to see the effect it has on villages and small communities.

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

October 1, 2013 at 3:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.