Royal Air Force Greatworth

962 Signals Unit

The Station's Forums

Forum Home > General Discussions > Initial training

Rev Dr Richard Hinder

Where were men trained before they were posted to RAF Greatworth?

My father, Leslie Hinder, received his morse code training in Blackpool. He moved on to a number of sites which included RAF Cranwell and Bletchley before finishing at Greatworth in 1944/45. 

February 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

RAF Locking and RAF Yatesbury for technical training among other places, operators were trained at other places that I don't recall. While at RAF Greatworth, we didn't have any radio operators, they were at Comcen.

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

March 7, 2011 at 4:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Al Burrell

Rev Dr Richard Hinder at February 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Where were men trained before they were posted to RAF Greatworth?

My father, Leslie Hinder, received his morse code training in Blackpool. He moved on to a number of sites which included RAF Cranwell and Bletchley before finishing at Greatworth in 1944/45. 

To take it on an extra strand.  During the war, and I assume you mean he was trained during the war because of the dates at Greatworth, the RAF opened many additional training facilities throughout the UK, not all of which were on formal RAF stations..  The North-West - and the Blackpool area in particular - was quite popular as it was well away from active areas.  In fact, No 24 (Training) Group was based in the Lansdowne Hotel, North Shore, Blackpool  at least during 1943/44.  I cannot say fro certain where he was trained, but it is quite likely that it was at RAF Weeton as this Unit housed No 8 School of Technical Training from May 1940 and something in the back of my memory tells me that wireless operators were included in the many trades that trained there.  As I say, cannot be certain, but it is possible.  Hope this might help.

March 7, 2011 at 4:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.