Royal Air Force Greatworth

962 Signals Unit

The Station's Forums

Forum Home > General Discussions > 1 School of Training RAF Locking WEBSITE (lack of!)

M Hall
Site Owner

There is no referance to a website for RAF Locking, there are apprentices sites, but no RAF ones. would anyone care for the job of starting and running a potentialy highly popular website for our No 1 School of Training? FREE! Go to www.webs.com . Don't all rush for it, we only need one site! seriously, if anyone likes the idea, post on here first. Paul can you echo this on RAF Jurong and of course any of our sister sites on the RAF RING if they would pass it on too?

Most all of us radio bods did training at RAF Locking, the potential of it being a large and popular site are very good, after all RAF Locking was home to glider training, radar school and radio school, then there's the apprentices entries and has been going since the mid-thirties.

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

February 18, 2010 at 6:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

N o one up for this then? If someone would like to try, it'd be good! I'd be willing to help out and I think Paul Forge would too, eh Paul?

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

March 29, 2010 at 12:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

This might be `banging on a bit', but there is no response to this enquiry yet so I thought to draw attention to a site related to this one http://raf-signals-command.webs.com/  We are seeking information about Signals Units and communications stations, so as to find more information on them and if they have a website or not. You'd get a better idea with a visit to this site, it has a blog and forum and any input would be apreciated. Signals Veterans it would appear, are thin on the ground!

For 2SU RAF Stanbridge, 962SU RAF Greatworth, ?SU RAF Edlesborough, ?SU RAF Stoke Hammond and ?SU RAF Bampton, so far as is known, there is just 1 website, this one, for RAF Greatworth. Ideally they all should have a veterans site each, but there are alternatives, one is to enlarge this site to cover them? We could keep the RAF Greatworth  962 SU title and apend a suitable sub title, to cover 2SU's satelights RX's as well as TX's. Anyone care to add their thoughts to this???

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

April 4, 2010 at 4:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

www.raflocking.webs.com Maybe some kind person'll volunteer to take it over sometime? Meantime most of us have done our trade training there or RAF Yatesbury www.rafyatesbury.webs.com  and so should hold some interest, membership is free on these. Locking's site is running but unfinnished and needs lots of member input, the gallery is yet empty and no-one has blogged or used the forum (at time of writing this)

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

April 11, 2010 at 4:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Forge
Administrator

Well you can't make it very much easier for some one to take over either of these sites Martin !!

Let's see what happens.

--

Paul

April 16, 2010 at 4:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

You're right Paul, maybe it's the old military adage, "never volunteer" eh? The site is up and running, it only needs some passengers! I'd think most of Jurong and Greatworth were there at some point. Also there were other trades taught there too, so it is a bridge to other aspects of the RAF's trades and careers. It isn't a difficult hobby to run, but it does need a caretaking role to keep it sweet and pick up on the SPAM it seems (recent guestbook in here)

The building of www.raflocking.webs.com is complete and all RAF Greatworthians are welcome.

p.s. You're not in there yet then, Paul?

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

April 18, 2010 at 3:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

And at last RAF Locking seems to be catching some interest, with the addition of a member, Don from the IOW's Ventnorradar has joined (linked)

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

May 15, 2010 at 12:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Forge
Administrator

Well it may take time........I'm sure there will be more people interested in due course Martin.

I've told a few blokes about the site. So fingers crossed !!

Regards

Paul

--

Paul

May 31, 2010 at 6:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

Terrific Paul, more is better, right?

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

May 31, 2010 at 5:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

RAF Locking has a new CO. Mark Griffin is now the owner of this great website, I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing Mark the best of luck in his new venture and those here who are also members of RAF Locking, will I sure give him their support in the good job he is doing there.

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

September 1, 2011 at 4:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Wikimapia of "Greatworth Park", This scrollable map is `mouse controled' (Click the box to go to Wikimapia)

Send to a friend

Usefull site links

Bed and Breakfast at Astwell Mill Helmdon www.astwellmill.co.uk

Forces Reunited - The largest dedicated UK Forces Community on the web

Forces Genealogy - Military Genealogy and history website

The Tourist Office address (e-mail) - [email protected] (Tel 01295 753725)

Recent Videos

3584 views - 2 comments
3287 views - 0 comments
2781 views - 0 comments
2736 views - 0 comments

The tuning of mind and machine

Aston  Martin  Racing.

Are situated in the messes, naafi and accomodation buildings.

(where Triple 8 (888) once ocupied)

Tim Samways occupy the central end and east wing of the `T' in the TX Hall.

Restoration and garaging of classic/historic sports cars.

(Visitors only by apointment!)

At the northern end Of the TX Hall.

Angus Watt's Campers.

VW Campers's in the Centre Hall.

Close by the old Nissen Hut's site

and the CO's Old House site there is

Home Nurseries 

Off Welsh Road. Here, you can

buy plants for hanging baskets

and patio tubs etc.

01295 768 141