Royal Air Force Greatworth

962 Signals Unit

The Station's Forums

Forum Home > General Discussions > RAF Slang and dialogue.

M Hall
Site Owner

Remember what we would now call RAFspeak, the gobbledegook that was our version of Queens english? Are our members still the 'gen kiddies', when it comes to the 'info' of the RAF's own dialogue? Well I won't labour the topic, I'll just kick off with the "Griff" on "Gen Kid".

Gen Kid. Is the chap who is the fount of all knowledge on the given topic in hand.

The griff. Taken from a newspaper of the period, The Griffon, ergo the news, or the latest info.

Would anyone care to expand this further?

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

November 30, 2009 at 3:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

exrafairmovements

Twooo........six !!

Anyone?

--

aqueenslander

:cool:

November 30, 2009 at 3:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

I remember "Two's up" for 'me next', but 'Two-six'? Clue us in!

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

November 30, 2009 at 4:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

The three S's before going out on a saturday night's 'razzle'

the three F's if you got 'lucky'

A fizzer, if you got caught.

Jankers if you got it wrong!

Then there were:-

Shreddies=underpants/Yfronts.

The Yumkah=Y.M.C.A.

Sparks=radio mech

Gash=spare, surpluss, unnesecary, unwanted or useless.

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

December 11, 2009 at 4:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jeff

exrafairmovements at 03:44AM on Nov 30, 2009

Twooo........six !!

Anyone?

I think the expression "TWO- - -SIX"  replaces the normal ONE---TWO---THREE---PULL, and has been borrowed from the navy, who beiieve they can pull, but can`t count.

Jeff

February 18, 2010 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jeff

Was "Pulling a stroke" once an expression used by members of the RAF ( especialy on stations where they carried out the rather risky sounding practice called "FLYING")?

It was used in place of "dodge" or "rotten trick" which reminds me of  a despicable act of which I am thoroughly ashamed.

It has to do with the AOC`s Parade.

My first parade started with the CO welcoming the AOC followed by an inspection of all available airmen who had been carefully arranged in three lines. Every airman was inspected with great detail, and all but one, were criticised at great length. We then marched from the coal compound to the loading bay, giving a salute to the AOC who stood by the flag as we passed.

On evenings the watch discussed the days events, and agreeing that the airman who had not been criticised was the only person on the camp who had a moustache, we all decided to grow a moustache.

Mine was the only one that lasted, and it was horrible.

I rode my motorbike though the winter of 58/59 which was famous for freezing fog that made the aerials light up or come crashing down ( three down in one night). My whiskers got solid with ice, and my upper lip, tho stiff was so painful it brought tears to my eyes.

AOC`s parade came round again, the inspection was just the same as the previous year until I  was reached. "This man is better" the AOC said but as soon as he went behind me the illusion was shattered

and the AOC was silenced. No one else was criticised, and the AOC didn`t stay any longer.

Next morning the SWO was waiting at the hall entrance, "You look smarter than ever airman" he said obviously noting my hairless upper lip. "Thankyou Sir I replyed"

February 18, 2010 at 2:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Rogers

Pukka Gen = accurate info.

Duff Gen= Rubbish info.

Shooting a line= Exaggerate

Bull up= polish, shine.

Bull**** = usually a "load of" (rubbish info.)

February 20, 2010 at 3:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

I knew there was more gen to be had!

Bull nite.........an evening of enjoyable polishing and cleaning of kit and pit

kit... your gear and uniform clothing

Pit.......where you crash out or bedspace.

wallah........bloke, chap, fellow, bod or other airman

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

February 20, 2010 at 5:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Rogers

Irons= Knife, fork, spoon.

The "SWO" = Station Warrant Officer

"Bumper" used for polishing Billet floor

Jankers = usually confined to camp for minor transgression of rules

"Best Blue" = best uniform (No. 1 Dress)

February 21, 2010 at 2:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

The Sally Ann= Salvation Army (Another of the Naafi's competitors)

It's cheating to list the "Q" codes as they are NOT RAF slang, just `radio speak' eg, qsy= change frequncy.

To throw one up= a salute

skiving= malingering

grafting= working hard

egyptian pt= sleeping

dennims= overals (not jeans!!)

Chiefy=  chief tech's

flight= flt sgt's

corp= etc

dekko= look at

gander= to go and look at

RAF wedding cake= baked beans on toast

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

February 22, 2010 at 8:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Rogers

"Get some in!" = Service

Erk = lowest form of animal life in RAF

February 24, 2010 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

"Get Some In" , was a good sitcom series (Fag for the corporal!(Cpl Marsh)(Didn't we have one of those?)), okay you lot! I thought we were all `erks' if we were below J/T?

`Chuffed'= pleased.

`Chuffed to short naafi queues'= exceptionaly well pleased.

Staybrites= anodised buttons.

spit'n'polish yer boots, the art (really!) of bulling toecaps on boots and shoes untill they looked like black japan (a piano like high gloss finnish on wooden furniture).

Then there was the jargon that went with the drill.

Remember the LP's of `Barrack room ballads` you could get in the fifties and sixties? Has anyone still got a playable copy? I still have a 10" LP of Tom Lehrer, anyone remember him? quote "poisening Pigeons in the Park. "The Boy Scouts Song" and "The Elements"?

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

February 24, 2010 at 11:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Rogers

Did you ever make a "Chuff- Chart"? You divided the days to be served by the actual number of days done, it started as a huge number, but as time went on it got smaller, near to the end it approached "infinity", you were then "Infinitley Chuffed" ! Favourite among National Servicemen.

Chuff charts were usually hung on the inside of the tall locker door, along with pin ups! 

February 25, 2010 at 6:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

I wonder if any of those charts survived? some were quite artistic.

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

February 25, 2010 at 1:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

Rock Apes= RAF Regiment

Form 252= a fizzer= jankers/CB= disschuffed!

Long weekend = 72hr pass (three day weekend)

Weekend = 48hr pass (two day weekend)

Fire Piquett = niether of the previous two! (weekend Duty)

Guard duty (weekend duty)

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

February 28, 2010 at 4:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Forge
Administrator

We used to call them "agonised buttons", but weren't allowed them whilst in training.

Tom Lehrer did some great songs Martin.  A very clever composer and lyricist.

Until recently, before a massive clearout, I still had that 10" LP.  Almost certainly

the same as yours.  Even after all that time (early sixties when it was produced)

it was very funny and extremely non "PC".......as they say now.

--

Paul

February 28, 2010 at 5:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

Paul, Yes, there were released TWO 10" LP's of Tom Lehrer, I've still got one, he was indeed brilliant. PC? ah? Like when he sang "I've not worn that white sheet in years"? from his `Dixie' track. There were othe LP's tho' of barrack room ballads that I remember of, one was american airforce another was RAF songs, then there were Stan Freberge and Bob Newhart, Bob was renowned for his skit in `The Driving Instructor' and also `The Introduction of Tobaco' among others. Happy days eh? The Goon shows, the Navy Lark and the Clitheroe Kid, usualy folowed by The Billy Cotton Band Show (Hey! You down there with the glasses!). History is `bunk', but it is bloody good `bunk'!

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

February 28, 2010 at 6:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Toots

Ah! Listening to Blaster Bates in the bar of the Flowerdown Club. Steve Hawksworth laughed so much he fell off the back of the chair he was sitting on and fetched up in a heap against the far wall. I think it was "The Great Shower of [email protected] over Cheshire"

--
March 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Forge
Administrator

Further to Email dialogue with Stuart here are a couple :-

"Daysies"....................Permanent Day shift workers.

"Scalees"....................Married personnel receiving extra allowance (often resented by us "singlees") .

--

Paul

March 20, 2010 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

Hey Paul, at Jurong we had `Moonies', recently posted in personel, who, whilst in european postings, would not have worn KD shorts, thus the hair on their knees woul not have been allowed to grow, in two circular bald patches, `moonies'!

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

March 20, 2010 at 2:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.