Royal Air Force Greatworth

962 Signals Unit

The Station's Forums

Forum Home > General Discussions > ST&C DS model TX's

Colin McKeeman

Hi, I have just joined this forum to-day as I am presently attempting to research and write the history of the old aeronautical communication stations at Birdlip/Winstone, GL.

I am wondering would anybody have photographs of any of the DS Type transmitters manufactured by ST&C, specifically the DS.10, DS.12 or DS.13 models? All of these were deployed at the Winstone transmitter site and I would like to illustrate this type of TX in my research, even though I may not have images taken at Winstone.

Also, would anyone happen to know when these various models were first produced by ST&C?

Finally, if anyone on this forum happened to either work/visit the Birdlip or Winstone sites during their operational phase, I would be delighted to hear from them.

Thanking you in anticipation - regards, Colin

March 12, 2015 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Stu Cook

Hi Colin,  I have a couple of pictures showing what I think were STC transmitters.  I took them when I stationed at RAF Ruiru, Kenya, sometime between 1964 - 1965.  No detailed pictures, just showing them lined up like ducks.  I think they were DS 10's or 12's and there may have been a DS 13 way at the end of one row.  The photos were taken with a half frame camera then scanned to PC and enlarged - hence they are a bit grainy and out of focus.

STU

May 21, 2015 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob McTait

Colin

Look on my profile , then you'll find a photo of CAF1, I believe it's a  STC DS12Regards, Rob G2BKZ

Rob

--

Rob McTait

July 23, 2015 at 8:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Colin McKeeman

I am pleased to report that I have now completed my research into the history of the old Birdlip HF aeronautical station and have self-published a soft-back, A4 size, 329 page book, with over 170 b&w illustrations, which covers the history of this complex from 1940 up to the present day.

This was assisted through contributions from members on this forum and I wish to acknowledge their support.

Further equiries can be made with myself at [email protected] and the cost, including p&p to the U.K. is STG22.

Thanks again,

Colin

February 24, 2017 at 12:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

M Hall
Site Owner

Colin McKeeman at March 12, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Hi, I have just joined this forum to-day as I am presently attempting to research and write the history of the old aeronautical communication stations at Birdlip/Winstone, GL.

I am wondering would anybody have photographs of any of the DS Type transmitters manufactured by ST&C, specifically the DS.10, DS.12 or DS.13 models? All of these were deployed at the Winstone transmitter site and I would like to illustrate this type of TX in my research, even though I may not have images taken at Winstone.

Also, would anyone happen to know when these various models were first produced by ST&C?

Finally, if anyone on this forum happened to either work/visit the Birdlip or Winstone sites during their operational phase, I would be delighted to hear from them.

Thanking you in anticipation - regards, Colin

Hi Colin, in the `Greatworth 1957' gallery there is a STC DS13 being attended, you may take a copy if you wish, but publication should quote the scource/author. Ok?

--

Martin. (aka Tom)

April 24, 2017 at 5:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.